It’s a Common endocrine disorder where the Thyroid gland doesn’t produces enough thyroid Hormone necessary for the body functions. Thus it’s called Hypo means less thyroid secretion.
Signs and Symptoms:
Thyroid gland swelling. First sign of Hypothyroidism.
Even mild or subclinical hypothyroidism has been associated with impaired fertility and an increased risk of miscarriage.
- Newborn children with hypothyroidism may have normal birth weight and height (although the head may be larger than expected.
- Some may have drowsiness,decreased muscle tone, a hoarse-sounding cry, feeding difficulties, constipation, an enlarged tongue, umbilical hernia, dry skin, a decreased body temperature and
- Normal growth and development may be delayed, and not treating infants may lead to an intellectual impairment (IQ 6–15 points lower in severe cases).
- In older children and adolescents, the symptoms of hypothyroidism may include fatigue, cold intolerance, sleepiness, muscle weakness, constipation, a delay in growth, overweight for height, pallor, coarse and thick skin,increased body hair, irregular menstrual cycles in girls, and delayed puberty.
- Iodine Deficiency
- Agenesis: Improper or no formation of thyroid gland at birth.
- Infection of thyroid gland
- Hashinomotos disease: here our protecting cells of body kills our own thyroid cells.
- Post pregnancy for limited period of time.
- FREE T3
- FREE T4.
- CBC: TO RULE OUT INFECTION.
These test should be regularly performed every 3 month to see the progress of disease control.
- Adding iodised salt in the food to cope up with deficiency
- Pregnant women require more 66% than normal iodised salt so in advice of specialized doctor it should be followed.
- If any such similar signs are seen in our body or our loved ones, visit a Doctor and get it tested.s
- Indicated for both hyper and hypothyroid
- Person though eating very well, very good appetite still doesn’t increase in weight.
- Very high metabolism of the body
- Eats a lot, passes stool soon after eating, urinates a lot and perspires a lot.
- Hurried, impatient, palpitation with slight amount of work done.
- Cannot tolerate heat, gets very uncomfortable, wants fan always.
- Females cannot retain pregnancy due to repeated efforts.
- Tendency to repeated abortions
- Anemia, weakness, tremor, palpitation, hairfall.
- Craving for lots of sweets.
- Skin disease with thyroid esp psoriasis.
- Adapted to person having Goitre.
- Here due to less of iodine in the salt thyroid takes place.
- Less iodine lead to improper metabolism in the body leading to disturbances in absorption of contents from food we eat,
- Excessive craving for salty food, requires salt more in food.
- Depression tendency, suicidal tendency in thyroid.
- Cries alone, doesn’t want company, aversion to people.
- Height is not optimum for age.
- Mentally not mature enough, childish though elderly aged.
- Had not taken much responsibilities in life.
- Cannot do much mental exertion as mental capacity is less.
- Fixed ideas, obstinate personality, cannot change his behaviour inspite of repeated understanding.