Cervical Spondylosis (Arthritis of the Neck)
Neck pain is extremely common. It can be caused by many things and is most often related to getting older.
Like the rest of the body, the bones in the neck (cervical spine) slowly degenerate as we age. Cervical spondylosis is the degeneration of the joints in the neck. It becomes increasingly more common as people age. More than 85% of people over age 60 are affected.
Although it is a form of arthritis, cervical spondylosis rarely becomes a crippling or disabling type.
Pain from cervical spondylosis can be mild to severe. It is sometimes worsened by looking up or down for a long time.
Additional symptoms include:
- Neck pain and stiffness (may be worse with activity)
- Numbness and weakness in arms, hands, and fingers
- Trouble walking, loss of balance or weakness in hands or legs
- Muscle spasms in neck and shoulders
- Grinding and popping sound/feeling in neck with movement
- Age. Cervical spondylosis is a normal part of aging. Spinal disks tend to dehydrate and shrink with the passing years.
- Occupation. Certain jobs may place extra stress on your neck. This may include repetitive neck motions, awkward positioning or a lot of overhead work.
- Neck injuries. Previous neck injuries appear to increase the risk of cervical spondylosis.
- Genetic factors. If your family has a history of neck pain.
- Smoking – Clearly linked to increased neck pain
- Mental health issues – Depression/anxiety
- Injuries/trauma – Car wreck or on-the-job injury
How to overcome or prevent spondylosis:
People who drive a lot and who work in front of computers have chances of being affected with Cervical Spondylosis. The modern lifestyle is the main cause for this condition. Things to avoid when you have spondylosis:
- Watching television for a longer time
- Working on computer for longer hours.
- Sitting stiffly
- Do exercises that strengthen nerves near the neck(under supervision)
- Use cervical pillow
- Take frequent timeouts while using computer
- Do not strain neck much
How Homoeopathy works….
A Homoeopathic treatment entails a detailed study to find the root cause of spondylisis. It may be due to the fear or incapacity to carry out a sudden responsibility which leads to pain in nape of neck and shoulders.
Some good homoeopathic remedies are:
- Calcarea Carbonica: Obese, fat people who are slow/lazy, fearful and timid . Any responsibility gives them a lot of mental strain, pain and giddiness followed by weakness.
- Bryonia: Affecting right side of the neck region and right shoulder. Excruciating pain which increases by slight movement. Such patients feel very thirsty. The patient feels better by lying on the right side.
- Causticum: Pain in the neck after long lasting grief or after some injustice faced. Pain is more in cold weather and the patient feels better lying on bed and warmth.
- Gelsemium : Pain due to fear, bad or exciting news., Aching, tiredness and soreness of muscles, feeling dull, dizzy and drowsy. Patient has less thirst for water and feels giddy. Feels paretic state in hands with numbness.