Mouth ulcer is a very common disease that people suffer quite often. They are very painful. Little boils appear in the inner portions of the mouth and they are sometimes white in colour.
The nerve of the mouth gets exposed due to the appearance of the ulcers. During this phase, it is very difficult to eat as well as drink as the nerves are exposed. There is a constant burning sensation in the mouth.
Mouth ulcers fall into three main categories;
- Minor ulcers which are the most common and typically between 2-8mm in diameter
- Major ulcers which are larger, deeper and may take longer to heal
- Herpetiform ulcers which are multiple pin head size sores
Some oral ulcers may begin with a stinging or burning sensation in the mouth where the ulcer is going to appear. In a few days, they often progress to form a red spot or bump, followed by an open ulcer.
The oral ulcer appears as a white or yellow oval with an inflamed red border. Sometimes a white circle or halo around the lesion can be observed. The grey, white, or yellow coloured area within the red boundary is due to formation of a special type of protein which causes clotting of blood. The ulcer, which itself is often extremely painful, especially when agitated, may be accompanied by a painful swelling of the jaw, which can be mistaken for toothache.
- Deficiencies of vitamin B12, iron and folic acid
- Bowel disturbances
- Damage to the inside lining of your mouth by very hot or acidic food and drink
- Biting you inner cheeks
- Brushing your teeth and gums very hard.
- Poorly fitted dentures.
- A very dry mouth due to a medical condition or from some medications
- Eating food to which you are allergic
- Hormonal changes
- During the menstruation cycle of women
- Sudden weight loss
- Sometimes ulcers can also appear due to body’s own immune reaction
- Some underlying illness in body
- Physical trauma caused by sharp edges of teeth or abrasive food stuffs like toast and potato chips.
Some Homoeopathic remedies for mouth ulcers or apthae are:
Borax : Ulcers on tongue and inside of the cheeks, easily bleeding on eating or even touched with hot drinks. Generally there is mouth dryness, thirst, nervousness and anxiousness in these patients.
Baptasia : Ulcerations with dry tongue and streak down the centre of the tongue. Throat sore but painless. Can swallow only liquids with inability to do any mental work.
Arsenic Album: For anxious people with great mental restlessness and physical weakness. Apthae are very painful, burns like fire but still feels better by consuming hot drinks. Apthae especially after stomach upsets and indigestion.
Mercurius Sol : Apthae behind the tongue with offensive mouth odour. Very painful ulcer with sweetish taste in mouth. Salivation, has to be swallowed continuously.
Nux vomica : Ulceration after some indigestion and stomach ailments. For angry, active and impatient patients with rawness in mouth . There is an uneasy and fruitless urge for bowel to act.
The other Homoeopathic remedies which can work as constitutional remedy for recurrent mouth ulcers are muratic acid, sulphuric acid, calc carb, natrum mur. Remember these have to taken along with supplements for nutritional deficiencies