Tips to stay Mentally Healthy
Enjoying mental health means having a sense of well-being, being able to function during everyday life and feeling confident to rise to a challenge when the opportunity arises. Just like your physical health, there are actions you can take to increase your mental health. Boost your well-being and stay mentally healthy by following a few simple steps:
- Connect with others: Develop and maintain strong relationship with people around you who will support, enrich your life and bring great rewards.
- Take time to enjoy: Set aside time for activities, hobbies and projects you enjoy. Do a crossword, take a walk, read a book, draw pictures with your kids, play with your pets- whatever takes your fancy.
- Participate and share interests: Join a club or a group of people who share your interests. Being a part of group of people with a common interest provides a sense of belonging. Join a yoga class, dance class, sports club, an evening walking group .
- Contribute to your community: Volunteer your time for a cause or issue that you care about and which can help you feel good about yourself and your place in the world. A social organisation, a blood donation camp, an orphanage, an old-age home.
- Challenge yourself: Learn a new skill or take on a challenge to meet a goal. You could take on something different at work; commit to a fitness goal or learn to cook a new recipe. Learning improves your mental fitness, while striving to meet your own goals builds skills and confidence and gives you a sense of progress and achievement
- Take care of yourself: Be active and eat well. Physical and mental health are closely linked- its easier to feel good about life if your body feels good. Combine physical activity with a balance diet to nourish your body and mind and keep you feeling good –inside and out.
- Deal with stress: Be aware of what triggers your stress and how you react. Stress is a part of life and affects people in different ways. It is only a problem when it makes you feel uncomfortable or distressed. Yoga, breathing exercises or meditation can help you.
- Rest and refresh: Get plenty of sleep. Sleep restores both your mind and body. Allow yourself some unfocussed time each day to refresh- daydream or simply watch the clouds go by for a while. Its OK to add “do nothing” to your to-do list.